Middlebury College '12

Middlebury College '12
Vincent on Grass at California Home

Thursday 2 August 2007

SMASH Recognition Event

The End of the Road



This event was so great that I could not simply stuff it into my first post about SMASH. At the end of the summer there is always this big program where students are recognized for their hard work. This year it was held at Scot's Seafood in Jack London Square in Oakland California. There were so many people there! Myself and Xiomara Cortez were the masters of ceremony. Xiomara did the translating. Because it was my last ring and also because I thought taht it would be entertaining, I executed four wardrobe changes! I started out with a West African outfit and transitioned into traditional European formal wear- wearing black slacks and changing into different colored shirts as we progressed through the program. I was honored when the first year cohort present ed us with Smash medallions that read SMASH class of 2008. I also performed Ombra Mai Fu from Handel during the entertainment period of the event while select students waltzed to the song as I sung. People really enjoyed it. I was a little upset that I did not get any food because I was so busy moving the program but everyone said that It was really good. My mom, grandmother, cousin and instructor for the program Alesandra, my aunt Pat, and uncle William were all present to support me. The director Ms. St. Roseman is really a great person! She is easy to talk to and works very hard to make sure things run smoothly. I am very happy to know a person like her. She has approved for the SMASH program to sponsor me to go to Stanford for Leadership camp from August ninth to August twelth. I can barely contain my excitement. Words cannot express my gratitude. She has a good sense of humor too!

No comments: